Legacy

連結 (link): 中文版 生命的傳承

Dad loved this T-shirt from the reunion party of the Education Department of Normal University.
Perfecting yourself to help others fulfill themselves may be his desire.

When I think of my father, the English word “Legacy” often pops up in my mind. It is difficult for me to translate this word into Chinese in simple words. It has the meaning of the following: inheritance, bequest, historical legacy, heritage, tradition, achievement, outstanding contribution, political achievement, carry on the family lineage, hereditary, merit, achievement. In fact, it can also have a negative connotation. Some people are notorious. Dad’s legacy definitely has a positive life impact . Because of the death of my father, my sister went to the middle school where my father retired to deal with his paperwork several weeks ago. From my sister’s descriptions of the conversations with the two directors in the school about my father’s past, I realized that my father had a great influence on his coworkers. Although my father has never been a director or principal, he taught his clerks a lot of administrative work ideas when he served as the head of the registration team and the head of the counseling team. One of the directors also mentioned that Dad was willing to take administrative responsibilities for his subordinates so his subordinates could do/try things boldly. Dad’s doing by example and taking responsibility are not only for his children, but also for his subordinates. Dad is very respected and loved by his colleagues. This is a legacy. My sister also discussed with the director about expanding the rules of granting scholarships established by my father. Previously, it was only awarded to students who won prizes in out-of-school mathematics competitions. My sister thought that my father emphasized on all-rounded development such as ethics, intellect, physique, social skills and aesthetics. So they decided to expand the scholarship to the competition winners of mathematics, sports, music, art, and language. Recalling that in the early years, schools were especially focused on further education as their educational goal. The children of underachievers were often not taken seriously. And Dad knew that these kids didn’t like to study so he encouraged them to play sports and do different activities to keep them happy and they won’t feel abandoned. Dad’s daring to do something different than the mainstream for what he believed in is also admired.

Picking out a few small cards written to Dad by his students. From the perspective of these middle school students, you can see who Teacher Lee is in their minds.

We are all sojourners of life. Most of us may announce our arrival in the world with cry, and then later in life leave this world silently. Between these two points, we can choose to be a sojourner without leaving any traces, or leaving people with bruises and scars, or leaving people with sweet and warm memories … An insignificant life? Or a life that has a positive impact on people? What Legacy do you want to leave behind?

(A few weeks ago, my sister was interviewed by a host of the National Education Radio. She also shared my father’s life and her own life on the “Voice of the Heart” program. From this interview you can also see Dad’s legacy. )

XYZ/Inspirational Posts 其它雜類或勵志帖子