Exodus 3 tells the story of Moses and the burning bush, where God calls an 80-year-old shepherd to rescue the Israelites from slavery in Egypt.
Moses is tending sheep near Mount Horeb when he sees a thornbush on fire that does not burn up. God speaks to him from the bush, revealing Himself as the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. God states that He has heard the cries of His suffering people in Egypt and plans to rescue them using Moses. Moses hesitates and questions his own worth, but God promises to be with him and reveals His divine name: "I AM WHO I AM". God outlines the plan to confront Pharaoh and assures Moses that Israel will eventually worship Him on that same mountain.
Key Points by Verses
- The Burning Bush (3:1–3): Moses leads his flock to Mount Horeb. He notices a bush burning with fire but remaining unconsumed, prompting him to investigate.
- Holy Ground (3:4–6): God calls out to Moses by name. He tells Moses to take off his sandals because he stands on holy ground and identifies Himself as the God of the patriarchs.
- The Divine Commission (3:7–10): God says He has seen the misery and heard the cries of the Israelites in Egypt. He announces His descent to rescue them and sends Moses to Pharaoh.
- The Promise of Presence (3:11–12): Moses asks, "Who am I?" God does not focus on Moses' inadequacy, answering simply, "I will certainly be with you".
- The Name "I AM" (3:13–15): Moses asks what to call God if the people ask. God reveals His eternal, self-existent name: "I AM WHO I AM".
- The Plan and Prophecy (3:16–22): God instructs Moses to gather Israel's elders and warns that Pharaoh will initially resist. God promises to perform miracles, resulting in the Egyptians giving the Israelites wealth as they leave.
Spiritual Implication
- The Burning Bush: The thorn bush represents a lowly, worthless life; the fire represents God's holy presence. That the bush burned without being consumed symbolizes Israel's survival amid suffering, and also symbolizes that God can use weak, ordinary people without destroying them. It shows that when God is present with a person, that person's weakness can bear God's power without being consumed by it.
- The Breaking of the Natural Life: In his first forty years, Moses tried to save his people by his own strength — his education and his sense of justice — and failed. In the next forty years, in the wilderness, God wore him down until he learned the humility of asking, "Who am I?" God's use of the "useless" thorn bush underscores that the work is accomplished by God, not by man. True service and true strength come from God's presence, not from human ability.
- Removing the Sandals and Holiness: God commanded Moses to remove his sandals because he was standing on holy ground. Removing his sandals symbolized stripping away human uncleanness, self-righteousness, and personal rights, teaching reverence and the acknowledgment that, before God's absolute holiness, one is entirely a spiritual servant. Drawing near to God requires acknowledging His absolute purity and His complete separation from sin.
- God's Proactive Salvation: God said, "I have surely seen the affliction of my people" and "I have come down to deliver them." God has never been distant from human suffering; He perceives the affliction of His people and takes action. Salvation does not originate from human planning — it comes because God remembers His covenant with Abraham, and He Himself takes the lead in accomplishing and guiding it.
- Calling and Commissioning: God's call to Moses is also a reminder to every believer: serving God does not depend on human perfection, but on reverence for God's holiness, on hearing God's call, and on laying down self to fulfill what God has entrusted.
- The Unchanging "I AM": When Moses asked God for His name, God answered, "I AM WHO I AM." This reveals that God is self-existent and eternal, the source who is bound by no created thing or circumstance.
出埃及記第 3 章講述了摩西與「燃燒的荊棘」的故事,當時神呼召一位八十歲的牧羊人,去將以色列人從埃及的奴役中解救出來。
摩西在何烈山附近牧羊時,看見一叢荊棘著火卻並未燒毀。神從荊棘裡向他說話,表明自己是亞伯拉罕、以撒和雅各的神。神表示祂已聽見祂的子民在埃及受苦的哀聲,並計劃藉著摩西將他們拯救出來。摩西心存猶豫,質疑自己的能力,但神應許與他同在,並啟示了自己的神聖名號:「我是自有永有的」(I AM WHO I AM)。神概述了與法老交涉的計劃,並向摩西保證,以色列人最終必在這同一座山上敬拜祂。
本章經文要點
- 燃燒的荊棘 (3:1–3): 摩西帶領羊群來到何烈山。他注意到一叢荊棘在燃燒,卻未被燒毀,於是上前查看。
- 聖地 (3:4–6): 神呼喚摩西的名字。祂告訴摩西要脫下涼鞋,因為他正站在聖地上,並且表明自己是列祖的神。
- 神聖的使命 (3:7–10): 神說祂已看見以色列人在埃及所受的苦難,並聽見了他們的哀聲。祂宣告自己將降臨拯救他們,並差遣摩西去見法老。
- 同在的應許 (3:11–12): 摩西問道:「我是誰?」神並未著眼於摩西的不足,而是簡單地回答說:「我必與你同在」。
- 「我是」之名 (3:13–15): 摩西詢問,若百姓問起,該如何稱呼神。神顯明了祂那永恆、自有之名:「我是自有永有的」。
- 計劃與預言 (3:16–22): 神指示摩西召集以色列的長老,並預告法老一開始會抗拒。神應許將施行神蹟,使埃及人在以色列人離去時贈與他們財物。
屬靈意義
- 燃燒的荊棘:荊棘代表卑微、無價值的生命;火代表神聖潔的同在。燃燒的荊棘卻沒有被燒毀,既象徵以色列在苦難中得以存續,也像徵著神能夠使用軟弱、平凡的人,卻不將其毀滅。表明當神與人同在時,人的軟弱能承載神的大能而不致滅絕。
- 天然生命的破碎:摩西在最初的四十年裡,試圖憑自己的力量──也就是他的學識與正義感──去拯救同胞,結果卻以失敗告終。在隨後四十年的曠野歲月中,神不斷磨去他的棱角,直到他學會了謙卑地發問:「我是誰?」神使用那株看似「無用」的荊棘,凸顯成事在於神而非出於人。真正的服事與力量,源自於神的同在,而非人的才幹。
- 脫鞋與聖潔:神吩咐摩西脫鞋,因為他正站在聖地上。脫鞋象徵著除去人的污穢、自義與權利,以此教導人要心存敬畏,並承認在神絕對的聖潔面前,人完全是屬靈的僕人。親近神需要承認祂絕對的純潔以及祂與罪的徹底隔絕。
- 神主動的拯救:神說:「我確實看見了我的百姓所受的苦難」,並且「我下來是要救他們」。神從未遠離人類的苦難;祂體察百姓的苦難並採取行動。拯救並非源自於人的籌劃,而是神記念祂與亞伯拉罕所立的約,並親自主導與帶領這拯救。
- 蒙召與差派:神對摩西的呼召也是對每一位信徒的提醒-事奉神並不取決於人的完美,而在於敬畏神的聖潔、聆聽神的呼召,以及放下自我去成就神的託付。
- 永恆不變的「自有永有者」:當摩西問神的名字時,神回答說:「我是自有永有的。」這顯明了神是自存且永恆的,是那不受任何受造之物或環境所局限的源頭。
Posts: Bible Study 讀經帖子
Posts: Words of the Day 今日經文
Posts: XYZ/Inspirational/Miscellaneous By Category 其它雜類或勵志帖子 (按類別排列)
